frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Collage Lessons

No one has looked at my blog for 2 days. That hasn't happened since I started the thing in December. I always say that I am suprised that anyone looks at it. But when this happens, it makes me think something is wrong, like people can't get to the blog any more. It could not possibly be that everyone has decided that this is boring crap. Right?


Then I think, if no one looks at this blog anymore, what would I do? How would it change? I would definitely say fuck now and then. I say that word pretty regularly, but not on the blog. It seems rude. Maybe not everyone likes to hear or see that. But if no one ever looks, what does it matter?


I've changed my template. I made this little embroidered thing with buttons sewn on that says Frenchtown Fiber. I wanted to find a template that kind of went with that new header I made. I just felt like having something new. Maybe everyone hates it. They will not look at this blog anymore until I change back to my original template. Well too bad! I'm not going to do it. Don't look, see if I care.


I started doing this free online collage class thing. I found it in someone's blog. I thought I had book-marked her, but I can't find it. I wish I could find it because she was showing us her progress and I wanted to see. I do have the link for the collage site:
http://www.collageforself-discovery.com/





The first collage (above)


In case you don't feel like clicking on this link, here is the gist. Make a quick collage every morning. Make the collage in a journal. It can be a small journal. Look in a few magazines and grab the first three images that "speak to you." also, one line of text. The whole thing should be done quickly and spontaneously. Then you meditate on the collage throughout the day, and see what it is trying to tell you about your authentic, inner self. The first collage I did was not really by the book. I cut the images out. You are supposed to tear. I think this is so you don't get too precious about it. I understand that. I did pay too much attention to the images, tried to make a theme. This collage makes me think of the Beatle's song PIGGIES. Then I wrote anxious declaratioins all over it. I seem to be constantly fighting a bad mood. Is that coming through in these collages, I wonder? (ha) My husband says, "Honey, you're 'pausin." (His word for menopause.)

The next collage followed the rules a little better, except I am doing my collages in the evening. Then I meditate on them the next day. Actually, I just look at them a few times. Maybe I should try harder. Even though I am generally skeptical of this kind of thing, I still think it is fun. Right now I have pledged to only work on one quilt, so I m not starting anything new. And I have been steadily working on the one thing, but I do feel like a diversion occasionally. This is perfect. It's junk food. It's like chocolate.




The second collage. I think I will write on that one tonight, before making the next collage.

Oh Crap! I just got a CNN alert!
S.C. Gov. Mark Sanford -- after days when his whereabouts were unknown -- says he has been unfaithful to his wife.

Oh Jeez, not again. I don't ever watch TV, but I know I will still see this guy all over the place, apologizing to everyone, with his wife standing besides him, looking like a beaten dog. I hope she doesn't do it. I hope she's "'pausin," and tells him, "Go stand up there yourself, you big Jack-Ass."

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I follow you on Google reader and I am unclear whether it registers on you site as a visit. Don't despair. People get busy, then people catch up.

I know, I know...one more political infidelity. Give us all a break!

The collage thing sounds similar to a drawing exercise I did today. Only I did 15 drawings in 15 minutes, not one a day. Still, the inner self does have a lot to say! And I'm to post these where I can see them and review them over the next few days. I already cringe at some of what my inner self is feeling...

Marty Mason said...

I love your new blog look. And, yes I still look...time is just getting away from me on these hot summer sultry days.

Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

....and now I've found you. I'm enjoying seeing all the different collages bloggers are doing in response to the 10 minute collage workshop. 'Don't be a patsy' has my attention! It might be slightly off track but you can make your own rules. You can also cut out if you want ...it's just a matter of what you can do in 10 minutes. If you are short for time tearing is quicker.
I love your header!