frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Monday, September 14, 2009

The Good Deed

I generally have a number of projects going at any given time. Here is one I revisited this weekend. It is my good deed quilt. Someone I work with, Vickie, came to me with an unfinished quilt. It was really just a shoe box with some blocks and pieces and extra fabric. Her mom started making this quilt with her friends, but died of cancer before she could finish. Vickie asked me if I could complete the quilt, which had been hanging around for years. I had very mixed feelings about this right from the start. For one thing, I don't really like this quilt very much. It is very mediocre, and so cute-country circa 1990. Vickie agrees. At the same time, people made this with their hands, and Vickie's mom must have died so young. (Vickie is not even 40 years old) I am not in the frame of mind right now to be piecing quilts, however, that part was mostly finished. I was just going to use what was there. I decided to take on the project. I laid down some rules. I had no idea when it would be finished, but I would finish it. I also would not take any money. Not taking money frees me from having to make this thing perfect, and let me tell you, it isn't. A lot of the corners don't quite meet up. Some of this was what I was given to work with, but some of it is my own crappy workmanship. I had only 8 completed squares, but I had one orphaned embroidered center square. I worked up a quilt square using the chicken, and I was ready to go. I took that picture yesterday morning, but since then I have set it all up and machine quilted six of the squares. This will be ready in no time! I showed Vickie this picture and she was pretty excited. She does not sew at all so to her this looks like a miracle.

No comments: