frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Creativity, Continued: "Art Critics"

Once again, I find that I want to make a post about comments I have recently received. We have a lively conversation going, I like that.

Here is part of a comment by Idaho Beauty: "Sometimes having people not commenting on your art can be a blessing. Recently an enthusiastic friend who does not make art herself but fancies herself well educated on it blatently told me what she would change about several of my pieces. Her comments made it very clear she did not understand the work."

Yes, I have been there. As if you did not do it exactly the way you wanted to do it. Another favorite is when people try to decipher the MEANING of your work, and no one asked them to try! I once drew a picture of my X-husband lying in bed. That's it. It was pretty straight forward. I had someone "guess" that he was sick, and was lying on ice cubes to take his fever down.

WTF???

Who has giant ice cubes in their bed?  Pink ones? Maybe she mistook it as an exercise in surrealism.

Sam Quilts want to see the cake. Well, that was years ago!  I can't find a picture of it anywhere. I drew it for you:

So there you have it. The Zenith of my artistic output. It's been down hill ever since. Actually, this might be the best drawing I have ever done. At work, with highlighters!

Finally, I know someone suggested a name for my doiley quilt. I liked it, but I can't find it in the comments. Marty, was that you? Maybe you just sent a separate e-mail? When I find it, I'm using it.

1 comment:

momtofatdogs said...

You always make me laugh!

I like that drawing. You did well. I won't try to figure a meaning into it....

I have been making couture "cupcakes" - and I have bought a bunch of stuff to cut fondant. I figure I can achieve much better results by using a cookie cutter metal jobbie, then if I try to freehand it. I don't have your talent!

Sam in Middle TN