frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Comments on the Attic Project

I've had two lengthy posts in regard to this. Two very helpful posts I might add. Thanks to my pal Janine at Quiltplay for letting me know I'm not the only one. And thanks to Susan at Art in Stitches for the fire story. The thing about a fire is it relieves you of any decision making. The stuff is burned to a crisp, what can you do about it now? Here is another twist on that. I was reading an essay a few months back written by a person who lives in California and had to evacuate due to wildfires. So here is a situation where you KNOW there is a fire coming. What do you take? I wish I could find this essay so you could read it for yourself, it was in the New York Times, probably this past fall. The author admitted to taking weird things; some clothes, some photos, a random selection of sentimental items. Part of her problem was panic, but also she had a hard time figuring out what was really important. When she was allowed back home, she started questioning all of her possesions.

We have made jokes around my house about just setting a fire, but really, we should be able to do this without the help of a major disaster. I feel a little better about the whole thing now. One thing I am good at is breaking jobs up into managable parts. If I hit one bin per night, I can have that attic in shape in two or three years! OK, I kid, but I think that is the way to go. I'll let you know if I find anything cool, and what it felt like to throw it away.

No comments: