frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Getting Back on Track


Remember the Cocktail Quilt? This post goes back to January. I had just gotten some cocktail related fabric and thought that I might use it with a cool old novelty dish towel I had found. Up until last night it was still pinned to the board where I took a picture of it in the beginning of the year. I had at least 2 good new ideas stirring around in my brain but I forced them back to revisit this old idea. Part of the problem was that cocktail fabric. I could not really think of how to make that work, and ultimately, I think it will end up on the back of the quilt.


I do that a lot. I have an idea of how I'm going to make a quilt and use certain fabric and methods, but when I really get down to it and drag all of the components together on the floor and start playing, often I struggle to make it all work. I start eliminating some things, adding others, and when I come up with something that I think does work, I am in a completely different place than where I started. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of not using a sketch book at all, or just another example of why I don't use a sketchbook. It's all going to change anyway.

This new picture, taken in the basement near the washer, shows my new idea about how to put this together. Another issue is the tea towel itself. It's almost a complete idea, and if I intend this to be a wall hanging, then it doesn't really need to be much larger. I'm going with two fabrics as a border, and some embroidery around the edge. And I can not wait to quilt around the elements in that towel! Good fun.

I am still not finished with the dead baby quilt, but when I get to the point that I am done thinking about a piece and I know how it will end up, I need to start working out the next one.

No comments: