frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Looking At Art




Yesterday I could not take being stuck inside anymore, so Joe and I went to the Michener Museum.  It is in Doylestown, PA, which is a reasonable distance and has some great work in it. We especially enjoyed seeing paintings by Paul Matthews. He lives in Lambertville, NJ, in a big victorian house. Joe used to live in an apartment in that house. Joe was admiring one of Paul's paintings and Paul gave him a print of that painting. It's in our living room. None of the paintings here are that one. I am disappointed at the images I am able to find on the web. Paul's best paintings are his portraits, and my favorite one is of two people looking at something in the landscape. You can't see what it is that they are looking at, but clearly the people are devastated. The pain they are feeling is almost alarming. The painting is riveting. I was told it was Paul and his wife looking at their son's grave. I can't find anything about it so I can only show you a different portrait. I'm being driven insane because blogger won't upload the image I really want to show.

I also saw a documentary over the weekend called Art City. It was kind of a loosely put together group of interviews with contemporary artists. One of the most intriguing artists was Richard Tuttle. The first image of his art I am showing you is of a wire strung around a few nails in the wall of a gallery. The next one is a peice of rope nailed to the wall. I'm not going to get into a big thing about what is and isn't art, but when I see this kind of thing I feel as if I can do anything I want!

No comments: