frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Monday, May 11, 2009

To Buy or Not to Buy

I was weeding the back garden on Saturday and my fat ass knocked into the birdbath and broke it. My birdbath is in two parts, the base, which I have had since 2002, and the top saucer, which balances on top of the base, which I have broken at least 3, maybe 4 times. I have lost track. I can always get a new saucer, but they are expensive, like $30. So the question I ask myself is this: How many times am I going to buy a new saucer before I realize this just isn't working out? To add more pain to this situation, I also dumped the little statue that I usually put into the bath, and part of her broke off. I bought her at Marshall's for $12, and it said on the tag that she was molded from ash from Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines when that volcano erupted. You know I'll never find anything like that again. But back to the birdbath, I decided that I would buy one of those one-piece cement ones that cost kind of a lot but might be cheaper than continuing to buy new saucers every couple of years.

Meanwhile, I cobbled together a makeshift birdbath from some free things I had found on the road side. I decided that this was a pretty good solution, and that maybe I didn't really need to buy a new birdbath at all.


The problem is, while the birds most likely won't care, the cobbled birdbath just isn't as pretty as the old one. So there is my dillema. To buy or not to buy.
Meanwhile, a cement leaf now sits on top of the old birdbath base.

1 comment:

Marty Mason said...

Sounds as if you are really working through the problem without any help...but, I can assure you the expensive ones are a lot of trouble also. Even though we are deep south...when it freezes with water in the bath, the concrete cracks. We had to learn that expensive lesson the hard way. So, now dearest puts them away for the winter and we put out the old ugly plastic plant saucers for the birds over winter.