frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Guerrilla Knitters

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/12/04/knitting.irpt/index.html 

Check this link out, it is really fun! It makes me want to do some Guerrilla Art. When I was in college I had a sculpture class. One of our assignments was to create something in a multiple of at least 100. I took 100 fist-sized rocks and covered them with pink knit fabric. Then I put them in a spiral pattern on the banks of the Raritan River, where you could see them from a bridge. I would walk by every day, and I noticed that people were messing around with them. They were making new patterns and moving the rocks around. That was cool. I live near the Delaware river now. I could do that again.

I want to put up my Christmas tree this weekend. This is my fake-ass white Christmas tree. If you are going to have a fake tree you may as well not even try to pretend it's real, you know? Did I ever tell the story of this tree? If I did, sorry.

My parents are city people, and I grew up with a fake tree. As I got older, that became the height of tackiness. My first husband grew up with a real tree, so we always had one. The year I separated from him, I went out on my own and bought a real tree, and struggled to get the thing home, drag it up the stairs, set it up, etc. I decided I didn't really need to do that anymore. I found a 7 foot fake white tree for $40 the following September. That was 1998. I got it up from the basement last night and noticed that it looked yellow. YELLOW! Perhaps it was the culmination of an annoying week, but this sent me spiraling into a bad mood. Now what was I going to do? I was planning to decorate the next night! (tonight) Joe had a look at it and said it looked fine, that no one would notice. I decided he was right. I set the tree up, the branches are color coded, you know. I think it is over for this tree after this year.

I have so many Christmas ornaments, that I break them out by color and do theme tees. Last year I did pink and gold. This year it is blue and green. I have big mixing bowls full of ornaments in the LR right now. The problem with a white tree is that you need to get lights with white wires. I have them, don't you worry, but we also have icicle lights with BLUE lights. I think I am going to put those on the tree this year. It's gonna be spiffy.

But, that is tomorrow. I was going to go to the mall tomorrow, but I decided that would suck, so I am going tonight. I don't live very close to any malls, so I rarely go, but this year Kate asked for a laptop computer, and there is an Apple store in the Bridgewater mall.

3 comments:

cconz said...

I gave up on tree altogether. I always had a real one (the biggest i could find.) Then one day about 20 years ago. No christmas decorations anywhere please. To bad they don't make fake trees that smell real.

Jeana Marie said...

we'll be having a fake tree this year too. It's green but certainly not pretending to be real :)

last year we had a tree on a pot, but after christmas we put it outside. it did not enjoy the intense heat of February, I think we'd would kill it if we hung stuff on it this year!

:Doreen said...

Guerrilla Knitters is great!
I have come across them awhile ago.

What is=is... embrace the yellow!
Ha! I am not thrilled about getting a tree this year...but 13 and 18 year olds require it!

I happily relegate any mall-hopping to someone else. I get dizzy if I go near one.

did you go to art college?