frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Diversity Project: Update

I ended up making 2 different fiber art projects for this assignment. The assignment came from work; we were to make art with the theme of diversity. The corporation a work for makes a big deal about diversity, which I think is fine. However, we are all to include some kind of diversity thing in our objectives. This year we are making a piece of art. Understand that my department is the graphics art department, so supposedly everyone is an artist. My job is more technical and I am not a designer. Therefore, I'm not that wild about creating art on the computer. I'm also not that good at it. I do like using a computer to support the art I make. For instance, printing on fabric from the computer is the best thing since sliced bread. Anyway, I made two pieces of fiber art. I brought them in and got the hairy eyeball. As if to say, what are we supposed to do with that? You should look at my previous post and see what I was thinking of doing, the weird self-portrait. I think I made the right decision by going in a different direction. So here is one of the items:


I guess you don't need to be a genius to figure that all of the different fabrics signify diversity. I took some other pictures of the piece that they may be able to use somehow.

1 comment:

Kim Hambric said...

Give them the hairy eyeball right back. This is quite a cool piece, what with the batiks and lacy bits together. All of those different, colorful buttons is a reminder of how we are all buttons (people) but we are each unique.