frenchtown fiber

Chris Mundy and Kate House try to make art while navigating the crap life throws at them.

Monday, December 6, 2010

A sudden challenge

So, in the midst of shopping and decorating, I've been thinking about what kind of art I should be working on. As I mentioned, it's a little hard to get started out of nowhere. I was thinking that the UFOs I have around would be an obvious place to begin. I was even fantisizing about the related blog posts. Now all of a sudden, there comes a challenge, from work, no less!

What does DIVERSITY mean to you?


We'd like to get your unique perspective on that question – and, in the process, create a work of art that represents all of us.

You are invited to share up to 3 reflections on diversity, whatever form they may take:

Image
Graphic
Word
Phrase
Link
Video

Your ideas, together with those of your Media Services colleagues, will then be combined into a one-of-a-kind mosaic capturing diversity in its many interpretations. Feel free to include a very brief caption for each idea as well.

Please submit your reply to (My Boss) by EOD  December 23 Your participation in this project is greatly appreciated and valued.


"The true potential of all people . . . can only be achieved through the equal acceptance of all in our society. Allowing people to confidently share and express their ideas, thoughts and strengths without fear will only improve productivity on both a personal and corporate level."
- Gary Guller

This is the e-mail I received today. I already have an idea of what I'd like to do. It will involve many fabrics, some unexpected... diverse. I'm not really great at working with concepts. I usually ignore quilt challenges when I see them. I can't exactly ignore this one. I will bet that every single person in my department will do something digital, except me and maybe one other person. I also bet that they are groaning right now, at being forced to make art. We'll see how it goes. I'm kind of excited about it. And, it will keep me off of ebay.

No comments: